Once you have installed the printer on your PC or laptop, it displays the name of the printer and its status on the screen. If the printer is connected to the network then it shows online or offline.
So if the printer is showing the offline status then there might be some issue with the cable connection or the printer itself.
In such cases, you should check the following things:
- Check the printer driver for the device.
- Make sure that the printer port is connected properly.
- Try to restart the computer so that the changes will take effect.
- Reset the modem/router to ensure internet connectivity.
- Reboot the router.
If none of these methods help then don’t worry because we’ll show you how to change Canon printer from offline to online on Windows and Mac step-by-step in this guide. So just follow our steps carefully and you will get rid of the printer offline error easily.
WHY IS MY CANON PRINTER SHOWING AS OFFLINE?
This error will occur due to various reasons like:
- The printer is not connected properly to the computer.
- The printer has been unplugged from the computer without turning off the power supply.
- There is no power source available for the printer.
- Some virus attacks the printer.
- System updates were applied incorrectly.
- The printer was reset by mistake.
- The printer is out of paper.
- The printer is damaged.
- The printer is not responding to print jobs.
- The printer does not support the requested feature.
- The printer is being used offline.
- The printer has run out of ink.
- The printer has gone into sleep mode.
HOW TO CHANGE CANON PRINTER FROM OFFLINE TO ONLINE
Now that you know that there are different reasons that may cause your printer to show as offline, if you’re also having this problem and not able to switch it back online, read the below solutions.
SOLUTION 1: FIX CANON PRINTER OFFLINE ERROR USING CONTROL PANNAL
- Step 1: Open the Control Panel by searching for it in the Start Menu.
- Step 2: Go to Hardware and Sound and then click on Devices and Printers.
- Step 3: Under the Printers catalog, look for your Canon printer and select it. After selecting the printer, select “See What’s printing”.
- Step 4: Click on the Printer option to see if Use Printer Offline is unchecked. If it is checked on with a √ mark, uncheck it by clicking on it.
- Step 5: Go back to the Printer and click Cancel All Documents.
- Step 6: Try printing your file to check if your Canon printer is working.
SOLUTION 2: FIX CANON PRINTER OFFLINE ERROR USING RESTART PRINTER SPOOLER SERVICE
- Step 1: Go to the Start menu and type service. You will see a result for Services (Desktop app), click and open it.
- Step 2: Identify Print Spooler and right-click on it. After that, click Restart. Note: Click Start instead of Restart if the Restart option is grayed out.
- Step 3: Once again, right-click on Print Spooler and select Properties. Now you have to set its Startup type as Automatic. Save your settings by clicking OK.
- Step 4: To see if your printer works, restart your PC and print your file.
SOLUTION 3: FIX CANON PRINTER OFFLINE ERROR USING MAC
- Step 1: On the Dock, click the icon for System Preferences.
- Step 2: In the Hardware category, select the Print and Fax control panel.
- Step 3: From the list on the left side of the screen, select the printer you want to use. On the next screen, click “Open queue“. And then reset the printing system.
- Step 4: In order to change a Canon printer from offline to online, click “Resume from the printer” in the queue window.
CONCLUSION – FINAL THOUGHTS!
If you have a Canon printer and are looking for help making it online, then follow the steps above. We’ve tried to keep this short and sweet so that you can quickly find a solution to your problem and fix it without delay.
Hopefully, by now you will know how to change Canon printer from offline to online through different methods including through the control panel and printer spooler service as well as using Mac OS.